I am asked for my hummus recipe several times each month.
At home, I make a batch almost every week. Our favorite accompaniment is a selection of fresh organic vegetables for dipping, such as cucumber, grape tomatoes, celery, sugar snap peas, kohlrabi, radishes and broccoli. Once you’ve made homemade hummus, you'll never go back to buying store bought. It's fast and simple to make. It tastes better and it’s much healthier for you, as there is no canola or soybean oil that is typically found in grocery store brands.
For the hummus:
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and simmered in water until soft (about 2 cups cooked), or 1 can chickpeas (Eden Organic brand), drained and rinsed
- Juice of 1 to 2 lemons (to taste)
- 2 – 4 large garlic cloves (to taste)
- 2 – 3 heaping Tbsp. of tahini
- 1 Tbsp. fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. flax seed oil (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. hemp oil (optional)
- 2 Tbsp. avocado oil (optional)
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup olive oil (add slowly to desired consistency)
- Cracked black pepper and Himalayan pink salt, to taste
- Seasoning of choice (optional) – such as 1 Tbsp. fresh herbs, 4 sundried tomatoes (chopped), 1 small roasted red pepper (chopped), garlic & herb seasoning, etc. I usually add 1/2 tsp. cumin, 1/4 tsp. turmeric, and a dash of cayenne pepper. Try different seasonings for variety!
*Use all organic ingredients if possible
Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse a few times. Blend to desired consistency (smooth or chunky). Add additional olive oil if needed and salt and pepper to taste. Blend again.
Serve at room temperature with olive oil drizzled on top and sprinkled with additional parsley, chopped garlic, pine nuts, etc.
To make Butter Lettuce Wraps with Hummus (shown in photo):
- Rinse and dry several butter lettuce leaves.
- Spoon 1 tbsp. of hummus onto each lettuce leaf.
- Top with 1 heaping spoonful of your favorite chopped veggies, such as cucumber, celery, radish, tomato, and red pepper.
- Sprinkle each lettuce wrap with a pinch of Himalayan pink salt, roll up and serve immediately.
Did you try this recipe? I'd love to hear from you.
If you think your friends would enjoy this recipe, please comment below and share this post.